Wednesday, November 4, 2015
I used THIS recipe for my inspiration but below is what I actually did. This recipe makes a double batch but somehow we didn't end up with very many leftovers!
2 Tbl butter
2 pre-cooked chicken breasts; cubed
2 quarts organic low-sodium chicken broth (I like to use Real Salt)
1 package frozen mixed vegetables
3 Tbl flour
6 button mushrooms (totally optional - just happened to have some!)
Salt to taste
Adobo seasoning to taste
Pepper to taste
2 C flour
1 teaspoon UNrefined salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 C (homemade) buttermilk (After mixing this was a bit dry so I added an extra splash of buttermilk)
1. Melt the butter in a large pot. If using mushrooms, sautee briefly in the butter.
2. Add the 3 tablespoons of flour and stir into the butter.
3. Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring constantly.
4. Add the chicken and packet of vegetables.
5. Turn on medium-high heat to bring to a boil while you make the dumplings.
6. Make the dumplings - Mix the dry ingredients; add the buttermilk (more as needed).
7. Add spoonfuls of dumplings to the boiling broth. Cover. Boil for 20-30 minutes or until the dumplings are done. I gently stirred after about 10 minutes and mine were done at about 20 minutes.