Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Hutspot (Dutch recipe)

What's Cookin'?

Since we are talking about The Netherlands, Germany, and Northern Europe in Geography right now I thought this was the perfect companion dinner.  The fact that I only had to buy a bag of carrots and an onion only added to my thrill.  Also, since I rarely can leave a recipe alone, this is done my way (here and here are some recipes I found that I adjusted).  That means tossing in a beef soup bone for added nutrition and, after cooking and straining, adding in some 'mush' from my last juicing adventure earlier in the week.

Ingredients:

1-1/2 lb organic potatoes (the rest of the bag from the beef stew)
1 lb organic carrots (I left out 2 huge ones so dc would have some for snacks later)
1/2 large yellow or white onion (I would've used the whole onion but I thought I could use some for something else)
Butter
Milk
Optional: Any meat you would like to serve it with or add to it later.

Directions:

Chop the potatoes, carrots, and onion (and beef soup bone if using).  Place in the crockpot with plenty of water for them to boil and cook throughout the day (I put in 2 quarts water) until tender.

Remove the soup bone; drain the water.  Mash.  [This is where I added my juicing pulp]  Add Butter and melt while stirring.  Add milk and stir.  Add salt, pepper, spices/herbs to taste.  [This is where I added just less than 1/2 pound pre-cooked ground chicken].

We were literally scraping the crock pot to get every last little bit.

This recipe is part of:
Real Food Wednesday,
Allergy Free Wednesday:
Fat Tuesday
Old Fashioned Recipe Exchange

No comments:

Post a Comment