Friday, June 15, 2012

Montessori Globes



These are the globes that I made years ago.  They still look like new!  I bought each one for less than $5 at Wal-Mart.  I left one unpainted with all of the info showing.  One is the land/water globe.  The other is the continent globe.  I had a lot of fun making these and wanted to offer a few tips:

1. I used acrylic paints and they did well.

2.  For the land/water globe, paint the blue first.  You don't need to be fiddly with the islands in Canada or elsewhere... just do your best.

3.  If you're using play sand for the land/water globe, SIFT it first!  Yeah, there is STILL a huge mountain in my Australia :).

4.  Paint glue on with a small brush one small section at a time.  Then roll the section in a small plateful of sand.

5.  If you are using Montessori colors for your continent globe use the following:
North America - orange
South America - pink
Australia - brown
Europe - red
Africa - green
Asia - yellow
Antarctica - white

Enjoy!

One summer we were making time capsules and one of my dds put one of these globes in it :).  They also make the schoolroom or materials area look nice so we still have the land/water and regular ones out.  Mine are only 4 inches so they don't take up very much shelf space but are big enough for our needs.

If you don't want to make your own, here are a few for purchase at amazon:




What's Cookin'?

As I dug through the fridge/freezer I came up with potato soup for tonight with 1/6 lb cooked ground hamburger in it and some squash (sauteed and pureed) snuck in it as well.

I also got some organic tortilla chips for some tortilla soup.

I'm going to get some beans soaking to have ready for whatever (probably "mainly bean" chili, bean/cheese melts, or tacos).

I'm soaking this pizza/calzone recipe to make breakfast and pizza calzones for tomorrow (we're working a horse show for dc's 4-H fundraiser).  I soaked the flour and 1-1/2 C yogurt and water.  Then I'll warm a 1/2 C water and add the salt and yeast later tonight.  Hope it works!
http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/whole-wheat-calzones

Any proceeds from referral links support our homeschool.

No comments:

Post a Comment