Friday, May 25, 2012

Cheese Wheat Crackers ~ Montessori Books on Sale at Amazon

What's Cookin'?

Cheese Wheat Crackers:

I could give you a recipe but I would rather give you an approach :).  Take your favorite biscuit recipe, leave out any leavening, add a big handful of shredded cheddar (or your favorite hard cheese), roll out between parchment paper, score with a pizza cutter into squares, and bake uncovered on the parchment paper!  Ta-da!

Details:

~ I use a soaked wheat recipe for biscuits using all white whole wheat.  I only made a 1/2 batch of the biscuit recipe (without the leavening)  and then only 1/2 of that fit on my bigger flat pan at a time - so it was 2 batches of crackers for a 1/2 batch of biscuit dough (Jelly roll pan??  Why on Earth are they called that, anyway?).  It was basically one stick of softened butter, 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of cultured buttermilk, and salt to taste.  I left this to soak all day.

~  With my oven I had to bake them about 15 minutes and then I flipped them over for another 10-15 minutes so they would cook evenly on both sides.

~  I like my crackers on the crispy side so I then turned off the oven and left all of the crackers in it overnight since some were still a little bready.  As it turns out all 3 dc told me the next day that they prefer soft crackers - good thing they weren't as snap-crisp as *I* like them :).

~  For snack I drained about 1/2 C of homemade yogurt in a jar covered with unbleached muslin for about an hour or so.  Then I just scraped out the soft cream cheese from the muslin "strainer" and added salt for a cracker spread.  Dc had crackers, cream cheese spread, and orange for morning snack.

What's Schoolin'?

I happened to find these Montessori books on sale right now on Amazon and thought I would pass it along...  Happy shopping!

 Teach Me to Do it Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your child (40% off):
 

Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years (26% off):
 

 How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way (32% off):
 

Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius (31% off):
 

Montessori from the Start: The child at Home, from Birth to Age Three (32% off):
 

Montessori Today: A Comprehensive Approach to Education from Birth to Adulthood (22% off):
 

 Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-Fives (33% off):
 

Montessori: A Modern Approach (22% off):
 

Maria Montessori: Her Life and Work (39% off):
 

Montessori in the Classroom: A Teacher's Account of How children Really Learn (37% off):

No comments:

Post a Comment