Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Adjective Extensions ~ Chicken and Dumplings ~ Glutathione

What's Schoolin'?

Here is a drawing contest for The Lorax [I'm really bummed that they made the movie with junk in it to make it PG :( ]:
http://www.homeschoolshare.com/blog/?p=1408

Adjective Extensions:

We just finished the last adjective presentation from the R and D Language Arts Elementary Grammar Volume 1 (p. 124).  Rather than using the command cards we did them orally with just the adjectives written in dark blue on cards. [Okay, confession... I couldn't find them! I thought I had put them back in my handy-dandy sorted binder (photo below) but, alas, they were missing.  No problem, though.]  After doing the activities with the materials (water, tubes, sponge, paper, etc) dd was to write the adjectives in her notebook (convex, concave, permeable, etc) and draw little illustrations to remember the meanings.  She ended up writing definitions in a much better way than I had expected.  Gee... she sure showed me, lol.  Her idea was much better than mine :).

Note:  I skipped the grammar boxes with my olders and so far with my youngest and the World didn't stop spinning nor tilt off of its axis.  I think they are wonderful but was too overwhelmed to make them adequately (although I've printed quite a few!) - I just had to let them go.  I'm noting this in case others are in the same boat of wanting to do it just right.  Don't let that perfectionist desire stop you from doing what you can!

Skipping ahead to the Adjective Extensions.... (p.139)

They recommend using Animalia by Base for the child to choose an animal and describe it using adjectives that start with the same letter (the book uses alliteration).  It doesn't say whether to do orally or written.  I (again) couldn't find my copy of that book (seeing a trend here???)(picture books haven't been reorganized since "the move").  However, I WAS able to put my hands on Rainforest Animals by Hess from my "lesson books" section of my teaching books.  When dd saw it she exclaimed, "I've been looking for that book for a year!" (yes, we all tend toward hyperboles in our home)  Any book with nice illustrations would do.  I actually prefer the realistic illustrations in the Rainforest Animals book to the fantastical illustrations of Animalia (in fact, it's totally possible that I couldn't find it because I sold it several summers ago when I culled my picture books).

Dd chose an animal from the pages.  I folded a paper in fourths and wrote the noun in black as a title.  She then wrote adjectives that she could think of for that animal (starting with the same letter) in dark blue pencil as a list.  Then we added any other adjectives.  When we had exhausted our brain cells she picked another animal, we flipped to a clean square and repeated the process for a total of 4 animals.  She then trimmed each square and glued them in her notebook.  We could have just make a 4-square grid straight on her paper in her notebook but this was somehow "cleaner" visually as we did it.

Another extension is to find noun families in literature and write them in her notebook.  She's been reading Little House books, Berenstain Bears chapter books, and a Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
that I checked out since the olders were doing WWII (and her Noah's Ark Bible - excellent transitional Bible)














What's Cookin'?

Beef broth:  I got some awesome neck bones with a bit of meat on them from our beef supplier (actually, they've become friends so 'beef supplier' sounds too officious!).  I roasted them on 350F one day until they were cooked.  Then I made 2 batches of bone broth with just one bone (the others are in the freezer).  I saved it to pick off any meat for a sandwich (yes, f-r-u-g-a-l!).  For some reason the smell while it cooked in the crockpot was much more pleasant than when I've used "soup bones" for beef broth.  It was milder.  We're making soup right now as I type so then I can compare the flavor... [update:  great broth flavor!]

Chicken and Dumplings:  The dc made this chicken and dumplings recipe last night for dinner.  Oh, it was sooo good.  Many hands truthfully did make for light work.  I appreciated it so much because a quick trip to town for groceries had worn me out plus I was able to get in my Azure Standard order on time!
Adjustments:  We are out of milk so had to use water for the dumplings.  I was busy helping youngest dd on my left and didn't realize until other dd on my right had finished putting in all 4 eggs that it was waaaay too runny (more like a batter than a dough). We probably added about another cup of flour to get it okay (still runny but okay since it was piped from a bag into the soup).  Next time we'll use milk, hopefully, and check it after each egg for consistency.

[Sidenote:  We had already used up the beef broth mentioned above so I tossed another bone from the frozen roasted ones in 3 quarts filtered water and let it go at a low boil while we prepped the rest of the ingredients.  Then I (frugally) let it cool and tossed it back in the freezer to get another batch out of it later (yes, I really did that!).]

We doubled the recipe but only did one of the dumpling recipe.  My only disappointment?  No leftovers!!

http://www.cheeseslave.com/sprouted-flour-chicken-dumplings/ (thanks for the recipe!)

L-Glutathione:  I believed that it was better to have the precursors for your own body to make the glutathione that it specifically needed  (because the body knows how much/where it needs it AND it would be more bioavailable when made by our bodies from the precursors).  E. in one of the health groups explained how MS patients (and here I'm extrapolating to Lymies like myself) simply don't have the ATP energy to make their glutathione - or rather they use up their energy making it;and they may be sensitive to the cysteine that is one of the precursors; or maybe are not able to make it effectively.  Thus, for some people it is better to use the liposomal glutathione, already made.  Glutathione is essential in liver detoxing (and detoxing in general).  I believe it's also essential for cell recovery.    I hope I got this right and may have to come back later and edit this; however, that's how I understand it at this point.

Here is good run-down of glutathione:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/glutathione-the-mother-of_b_530494.html

Here are some options I'm considering:

















I've seen this recommended in several places in the medical community but they are sooo expensive (it's even mentioned by name in the above link):

No comments:

Post a Comment