Monday, January 16, 2012

Ancient Rome Part 1 (Links) ~ Chicken Sketty

What's Schoolin'?

Here are some resource links for Ancient Rome.  This is actually what I will e-mail to my 2 high schoolers so they can click on them directly.  Sending them the Greek links to their e-mail worked really well so we'll try that again.  I hope some of you may find them useful either now or later (in my case it will be now AND later when youngest dd gets there!).  This is why I would love to have a Kindle!  Any Kindle downloads that you see they read on my computer.

I will post my general plans and resource books shortly.  Right now it's a scribbled mess in a notebook :).  We'll study more of the early Christian martyrs/saints but it's not reflected in these links (more on that later).

LINKS:



Choose at least 5 sites from each column (kingdom; republic; empire)(can be bunny trail sites):
Hadrian's Wall Gallery:


Roman poet Ovid (published between 8 and 5 BC)
Read this one from the Ovid's Heroides:
Read this analysis of Virgil's Aeneid after reading the other Aeneid books
-The Aeneid for Boys and Girls by A. Church
-The Aeneid by Virgil (original; translated) http://classics.mit.edu/Virgil/aeneid.html
Roman poet Horace:  Read Satire 1 Book 1 "on discontent":
Read this intro to dactylic hexameter
Choose one Early Church Father to read original works (see small print under some of the titles)(I can help you load):
For fun:
Extra

Young Folk's History of Rome (free kindle)(looks like a good overview but I have only seen the preview - see last several chapters):
The Martyr of the Catacombs: A Tale of Ancient Rome (free kindle):
What's Cookin'?

Unbelievable... dh and the olders processed our 17 broilers Saturday.  I just served beans and rice for dinner!  Sunday was another vegetarian meal (and chocolate chip cookies) before I could actually serve the chicken.  He smoked 12 and I baked 4 and one is ready to cook in the freezer.  All of the cooked ones except 2 are also in the freezer.  This is soooooooo out of my comfort zone!!  There is no way I could've been out there with them, much less helped.  I simply can't comprehend how they could but dh was grateful to have their help or he couldn't have finished.  How's that for Montessori Practical Life??  Truthfully, that's real life.  

I'm really looking forward to getting layers, though.  THEN I'll let myself bond with them and I think the dc will really enjoy them also.  Who knows, maybe one of them (the dc!) will want to enter some showmanship 4-H chicken contests if they exist around here.  I have checked out one million library books on chickens!  Two favorites are due back this Thursday and have holds on them:






Chicken Spaghetti:  This is our first meal with our homegrown chickens.  Does this mean that we're now officially homesteaders?  I used only 1 breast from a baked chicken and it made 3 Cups of shredded chicken.     I used the recipe below with the following changes:  less butter, 1/2-1 cup frozen shredded zucchini, 1 diced carrot, and 3 garlic cloves.  Instead of 2 C broth I used 1 C drippings from the original chicken baking that I saved (it was beautiful gelatin with just a tad of fat).  For the cheese I used about 1/2 C cubed Swiss and about 1/2 shredded cheddar (both from the freezer) because the Swiss has such a strong taste that I mainly use it for cooking but wanted a bit of cheddar flavor also.  I sprinkled a bit of cheddar on top also instead of Parmesan.

One last difference:  I divided my noodles and sauce into 2 pans (9 x 12 and 8 x 8).  I froze the smaller pan by lining it with parchment paper, then covering it with plastic wrap.  After it's frozen I'll take it out of the glass pan that I use so much and probably bag it.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1639,147176-234194,00.html

I chose that recipe because it didn't use Velveeta (!), used real ingredients, and used ingredients that I had (no grocery shopping for a while for me so that's really important right now).

No comments:

Post a Comment