Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Feliz Dia de los Reyes

Happy Three Kings Day!

Today we had "crown cake" for breakfast and opened Christmas stockings before Dh went to work this morning. I have to admit: getting up at 5:00 to pop it in the oven wasn't easy! At least that was all that I had to do since I had made it the night before. The dc got up about 6:00, eager and ready. I followed the recipe I posted a link to previously for sourdough monkey bread and it was fantastic.
Here it is as it came out of the oven:


Here it is flipped on the plate. No icing was necessary. Oldest dd got the almond and got a little box of animal toys (that was on sale for $1 at Tractor Supply, yeah!).


So, now Christmas is boxed up, furniture is moved back, the tree is on the porch, and eventually I'll crawl out of this sugar crash.

What's Cookin'?

Last night I once again tried to squeeze in some nutritious food amongst the chaos and once again resorted to chicken noodle soup. The dc love it, which thrills me, and we actually ran out. I simply poured the broth in the pot (straight from the crockpot because I hadn't yet strained/jarred it), added some diced sweet potatoes (about 1/2 sweet potato), and cooked for about 10-15 minutes. Then I added the noodles and cooked for another 10 minutes. It was delicious and satisfying. We ate some pita crackers on the side (from Archer Farms with only flour, oil, and salt - the oil is either sunflower or safflower and NOT hydrogenated).




Tonight we'll have spaghetti and I'll have the sauce on the spaghetti squash. I will do it like last time and serve some of the sketty squash with butter as a side for everyone else.


I had such a hard time finding the organic candy canes this year that I got extra. It's the only kind that I've seen withOUT the dyes. Anyway, now I need to decide how to keep them until next December. I think freezing will be the best way, but let me know if you have any other ideas. I was so glad that I took a box to my in-laws over Christmas. I mixed them in with hers and the dc would just make sure to grab ours when they took one.

No comments:

Post a Comment